Every Wednesday starting April 7, 2021 / 7-8:15pm / Online via Zoom
General Meeting (Spring Quarter 2021)
- April 7: ACM-W x SWE x GWC Web Development Series - Part 1 - HTML basics & GitHub setup
- April 14: ACM-W x SWE x GWC Web Development Series - Part 2 - HTML & CSS
- April 21: ACM-W x SWE x GWC Web Development Series - Part 3 - Finishing touches & GitHub hosting
- April 28: Women in Academia and Industry Panel
- This panel will feature UCSC engineering alumni who are mid-career and work in a variety of different industries. Alumni will answer questions about the most important things they have learned at UCSC, how studying engineering at UCSC has impacted their career and other questions that members have
- Submit your questions for the panelists using this form!
- May 5: Agora Program
- Gain hands-on web development experience by coding your own video chatting app in 4 weeks! You will learn web development basics and learn how to utilize APIs and SDKs. By the end of the program you will receive a certificate and a fully functional video chatting app for your portfolio! This program is open to people of all experiences - anyone is welcome to join!
- May 12: Agora Program (continued)
- May 19: Agora Program (continued)
- May 26: Agora Program (continued)
- June 2: Awards Ceremony
Every other Monday starting January 11, 2021 / 7pm / Online via Zoom
General Meeting (Winter Quarter 2021)
- January 11: Introduction
- January 25: Technical Demos
- February 8: A More Empowered Future You
- February 22: Interested in Research?
- March 8: Dinner Talks
October 16, October 30, November 13, December 11 2020 / 1:30pm / Online via Zoom
General Meeting (Fall Quarter 2020)
- October 16: Introduction
- October 30: Get That Dream Job
- November 13: Advisor AMA and Top Class Picks
- December 11: Tea Time and Gingerbread Cookies
December 2, 2020 / 6pm / Online via GWC's Discord Server
GWC x ACM-W: Hidden Figures Film Screening
Take a break from studying for finals and join Girls Who Code and ACM-W (Association for Computing Machinery's Women in Computing) for a watch party of Hidden Figures!
Hidden Figures tells the incredible untold story of Katherine Jonson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monae) – brilliant African-American women working at NASA who served as the brains behind the launch into orbit of astronaut John Glenn, a stunning achievement that turned around the space race. The visionary trio crossed all gender and racial line and inspired generations.
November 20, 2020 / 10am / Online via Zoom
GWC x SWE: Is your current major right for you?
Girls Who Code and Society of Women Engineers are hosting a 90 minute panel with professors from all six Baskin School Of Engineering departments to help students understand if the major they are currently pursuing is the right major for them. This event will be open to any UCSC students who are interested in pursuing a major or minor in any of the Baskin departments. Students will be able to submit questions beforehand and the moderator will ask the most popular questions. The last 15 to 20 minutes will be left for questions from the audience.
Professors can introduce their respective departments and provide a quick overview of what topics are emphasized in the major/minor to help students understand the differences between different Baskin subjects. Professors can also provide some insights on job prospects for students who pursue majors in their departments as well. This panel also serves another purpose: it allows students to interact with professors in a different setting where they can converse about topics other than their class assignments and grades. This panel hopes to foster a connection between professors and students where students can get advice and professors can utilize their background in academia along with their industry experience in order to help students make the right decisions in terms of their college education as well as career success.
October 23, 2020 / 4pm / Online via Zoom
Create Your Own Debug Buddy
Join us for our first social of the year! We will be creating our own debug buddies to accompany us during those frustrating homework problems or code bugs (no rubber duck needed).
September 29, 2020 / 4:30pm
GWC at Cornucopia
Missed us at Cornucopia? View a recording of our presentation!
September 29, 2020 / 12-2pm
GWC at Baskin School of Engineering Welcome Week
Missed us at BSOE Welcome Week? The recording of our presentation will be posted soon!
April 6, April 20, May 4, May 18, June 1 2020 / 5pm / Online via Zoom
- Introduction (4/6)
- Interview Prep + Advice (4/20)
- Code Your Own Website using Codeacademy (5/4)
- Intro to Hackathons (5/18)
- Tea Time & Quarantine (6/1)
June 11, 2020 // CANCELLED
First Annual Women in Engineering Graduation Banquet
Girls Who Code, with the support of the Baskin School of Engineering, is organizing the First Annual Women in Engineering Graduation Banquet to celebrate all women graduating with Engineering degrees at UC Santa Cruz!
This event is an important way to honor all the women who are taking their first step into the tech industry and we hope that events like this will motivate them to persevere, set their sights high, and achieve their goals.
**Due to the pandemic, the first banquet is planned to be held in June 2021.
February 28, 2020 / 1-4pm / Outside S&E Library
Hot Chocolate Fundraiser
We will be selling hot chocolate with toppings of your choice to fundraise for our Women in Engineering Celebration Banquet this year!
February 26, 2020 / 1:30-3:30pm / Engineering 2, room 599 // POSTPONED
Intro to Python Workshop - Girls Who Code x Society of Women Engineers
Learn how to code in Python from UCSC Professor Travis Seymour! This workshop is ideal for those are unfamiliar or are fairly new to Python. Bring your laptop!
February 26, 2020
Club Meeting - Intro to Hackathons
Brainstorm a hackathon idea and set up a work plan for it!
February 21, 2020 / 10am-12pm / Santa Cruz
We're going to Looker again!
Looker is a business intelligence software and big data analytics platform that helps you explore, analyze and share real-time business analytics easily. We'll take a tour of their office and chat with some of the engineers there.
February 21, 2020 / 1-4pm / Baskin Engineering Quad
We will be celebrating Baskin Day with the other engineering clubs! Plus, we will be selling hot chocolate with toppings of your choice to fundraise for our Women in Engineering Celebration Banquet this year!
February 12, 2020
Club Meeting - Open Source, Of Course
Learn how & why you should contribute to open source projects.
February 3, 2020 / 1-4pm / Outside S&E Library
We will be selling boba drinks from Happy Lemon to fundraise for our Women in Engineering Celebration Banquet this year!
January 29, 2020
Club Meeting - Tackle the Technical
Practice, practice, practice. Level up your technical interview skills with group workshops.
May 24, 2019
Looker Tour in Santa Cruz